Bringing direct sales consultants together in a supportive and friendly environment where they can share ideas, motivation and support one another. Feel free to look around the boards. If you wish to post threads or reply to messages you must be a registered member. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Sales Moms Forum
Introduce Yourself - Garage Sale - Catalog Exchange - Link Exchange - Business Opportunity
Hostes Coaching - Paperwork & Business - Marketing Your Business - Being A Leader
Balancing Family & Work - Local Expos & Online Events - Place Your Ads Here - General Direct Sales Discussion & Company Suggestion
Sales Moms ForumGeneralMia Bella Beauty › Keeping your brushes in great shape
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Keeping your brushes in great shape (Read 1,580 times)
Flickerscents
Sales MOMS Preferred Member

Looking for something
more....I did, and I
love it

Keeping your brushes in great shape
Oct 26th, 2009 at 7:07am
Print Post  
This is a great article on how to care for your brushes:

A dirty makeup brush can mean more acne because every time you use it youíre potentially picking up toxins, dead skin cells, oils and bacteria that are sitting on your skin, so next time you use it youíre putting all of that yucky stuff right back on again. Especially if youíve been using your brush when youíve got active acne. Anything you touch your face with or apply to your face should be clean, clean clean, so keeping your makeup brush toxin-free is essential.

Washing your brushes will also extend the life of the brush. Which makes sense if you think about it. Anything you look after, take care of and regularly wash is naturally just going to last longer. So if youíre like me and made a big investment when you purchased your top quality brush, then you want to make sure you get as much use out of it as you can.

And this goes for all sponges and tools that you use to apply your makeup. Everything needs to be regularly cleaned!

How to wash your makeup brush

I like everything the natural way so natural methods for cleaning my brush are the best for me. But there are a couple of options, so choose the one that fits best with you.

1. The vinegar and water method

This is natural, cheap and easy because youíve probably already got some vinegar lying around at home. Vinegar is also a natural disinfectant so while you are cleaning, youíre disinfecting too!

Use twice as much cold or luke-water as vinegar. Simply mix in a bucket or bowl and dip your brushes in, give a bit of a scrub, then rinse off with running water.

You can also use Tea Tree Oil instead of vinegar.

2. The shampoo method

Run your brushes under cold or luke-warm water, then apply a tiny amount of shampoo. Give the bristles a scrub then rinse thoroughly with running water until there are no traces of soap left and the water runs clear. Repeat until no makeup at all comes out of the brush or into the water when you lather it up.

I use a natural shampoo so this is my preferred method (and yes, I did go and clean my brushes half way though writing this article!!). I also feel as though the shampoo is getting off a lot more of the makeup gunk than the vinegar method would. Although I might start dipping my brushes into a little vinegar or Tea Tree Oil and water after theyíve had the shampoo scrub because I like the idea of the disinfecting action of the vinegar.

How to dry your brushes

Youíll need to first get the excess water out of the brush by gently squeezing the bristles from base to tip. Then leave the brushes to air dry on a towel.

Make sure you always leave your brushes to lie flat while drying, or even better - hang them up with the bristles facing the ground. If you stand them up to dry with the bristles facing the ceiling, then water will run down to the base which can mess with the glue that fastens the bristles into place. So itís best if you lie your brushes flat on a towel or air dry.

Washing your brushes at night just before you go to bed is a great idea because while theyíre drying you wonít be able to use them!

In case of emergencies you may want to keep a spare brush around (hey, a cheap brush is okay as a spare). And whatever you do, never ever use a hair dryer to dry your brushes because the excessive heat can damage the glue and bristles.

Also donít boil your brushes, microwave them, use conditioner to clean them or pull and scrub at the bristles too much. I guess just be gentle and use your common sense 

How often should you wash your brushes?

Apparently weekly is the best but fortnightly is okay too if you forget. After seeing what came out of my brush when I washed it Iím definitely going to get into the habit of washing mine once a week. Regular brush washing will also be great for my skinís health, and it will make my beautiful brush last a lot longer.

Shop:www.FlickerScents.com&&Earn: (877) 258-0038 † (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);
IP Logged

Flickerscents

Looking for something
more....I did, and I
love it

Re: Keeping your brushes in great shape
Reply #1 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 7:08am
Print Post  
I use some baby shampoo mixed with a little bit of hair conditioner.

Shop:www.FlickerScents.com&&Earn: (877) 258-0038 † (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);
IP Logged

razzledazzle
Global Moderator

Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
Also be sure to not get the metal ferrel too wet or soaked, which in time will cause the glue inside the ferrel to come loose and will come apart...

If you take care of your brushes, they will last you years and years !!! A set of good brushes is a must !! You can see the difference in application with a great brush..

Knowledge is the Key !!&&online store.. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) info.. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);
IP Logged

Teresa

Reply #3 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
Great Information.. Thanks for sharing..
The brushes are an important party of your makeup..
You have to have good brushes and keep them in shape.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Sales Moms ForumGeneralMia Bella Beauty › Keeping your brushes in great shape

Sales Moms Forum

Shopping Mall Forum

Introduce Yourself - Garage Sale - Catalog Exchange - Link Exchange - Business Opportunity
Hostes Coaching - Paperwork & Business - Marketing Your Business - Being A Leader
Balancing Family & Work - Local Expos & Online Events - Place Your Ads Here - General Direct Sales Discussion & Company Suggestion

Sales Moms Forum Sites:

Internet Business
Direct Sales Party
Shopping Mall Forum
SalesMoms.com
Directory of members web sites
Link your web site

Site information and Privacy Policy